Felt a huge urge to write this today because it’s my Mum’s 50th Birthday. She’s sacrificed so much for me over the past 23 years, I don’t know where I would be without her, I love her to the moon and back, and she’s definitely my BFF!! So here’s a list of signs that your mum is your BFF too…..
1. When other people roll their eyes at how annoying their mum is, you just don’t get it. Mums are the best. Well, YOUR mum is.
2. You watch shows you don’t even like and find yourself getting hooked just because you like chatting about what she’s watching. Mainly Mr Selfridge and Downton Abbey.
3. You cannot listen to Spice Girls’ Mama without crying because… EMOTIONS.
4. Your mum sends you Valentine’s Day cards and it doesn’t feel sad AT ALL. It actually makes your day.
5. Your roles reverse frequently and if you don’t hear from her for 24hrs you start panicking that she’s been mugged or electrocuted and tell her off when she says her phone battery just died.
6. Any film with a heartwarming mother daughter relationship requires at least one travel pack of tissues. Mamma Mia! is a very confusing watch for this exact reason – so many upbeat songs and yet SO MUCH HEARTWARMING BONDING 😭😭😭
7. You never have to worry about having music on your iPod because all walks to/from anywhere are spent calling your mum instead.
8. You have literally been friends since the day you were born. (Apart from ages 14-17 when you were a bit of a dick to her, but we don’t talk about that).
9. Your friends are getting seriously tired of sentences that start: “Well, my mum said…”
10. You talk about boyfriends and it’s totally not weird. After all, she has more experience than anyone else you know and you can guarantee she has your best interests at heart.
11. Mother’s Day is better than Christmas for you – a whole day where you can actually go on about how your mum is the best. This is also applicable today and on other such big, eventful birthdays!
12. You send your mum pictures of every outfit you try on in shop changing rooms because, if she’s not with you, you WILL find a way to get her opinion somehow.
13. FaceTime isn’t just for people who live abroad. It’s for Sundays chatting to your mum (and often the dog) with a cup of tea.
14. She is your biggest supporter by FAR and if it weren’t for her, you’d probably feel like a total failure at most things.
15. You can tell her anything and you don’t have to be drunk and getting in a cab at 3am to do it.
16. You can count the arguments you’ve had on one hand. And those were over who is paying for lunch and how one of you spent too much on a gift.
17. You’d take a picture of dinner with your mum over a drunken selfie with your mates any day.
18. When you try and explain to people that your mum isn’t like a regular mum, she’s a really cool mum, they just look at you like you’re crazy.
19. You have the most epic WhatsApp chats in the world. Sometimes you text each other so much about a TV show it feels like you are in the same room.
20. You get a genuine feeling of crippling terror at the thought of anything happening to her.
21. You NEVER have to worry about her thinking your problems are weird or stupid or pathetic. Even the smallest issue is treated like World War 3 and she will always find a solution.
22. Your mum is the ONLY person you want in that room when you try to squeeze a baby out.
23. Although, you genuinely fear not having the same relationship with your own child and at times have almost wondered whether you should bother.
24. When she goes on holiday without you, you spend the week beforehand figuring out data plans and the situation with hotel Wi-Fi so you don’t miss a call.
25. You have kept pretty much every birthday and Christmas card your mum has ever given you because you just can’t bring yourself to throw them away.
26. When you see other kids using their mum for money, you want to break into a full-blown rage at their selfishness.
27. Literally anything your mum cooks is better than restaurant-standard food in your opinion. And you get SUPER competitive when anyone tries to suggest their mum’s roast potatoes are the best. (Uh, sure. Whatever.)
28. You feel WAY more comfortable talking to your mum about that weird rash than your doctor because… she’s your mum.
29. Awkward silences do not exist between you. That’s why holidays with your mum are the BEST. That and the fact she is a hilarious drunk.
30.You cannot remember a single time in your life when it felt like she was judging you or was bored of listening to your problems.
31. You want your best friend’s mum to be friends with your mum. Like setting two of your friends up. But they’re your mums. And you want them to be friends.
32. You feel like it’s your life goal to try and somehow show how grateful you are that she made you the human you are. You’ve come to accept that it’s an impossible task, but you’ll keep trying all the same.